PHPUnit style dataProvider in Python unit test

PHPUnit has a handy feature with which you can provide testdata to your tests. This is called a data provider, and is implemented by annotating a test with @dataProvider methodName. Python’s unittest module doesn’t seem to have such a feature.

PHPUnit’s version

The data provider returns a two-dimensional array of test arguments. For example:

class CssParserTest extends PHPUnit_Framework_TestCase {
    function setUp() {
        $this->parser = new CssParser();
    }

/**
     * @dataProvider cssColors
    function testParseColor($color, $notation) {
        $this->assertEquals($color, $this->parser->parseColor($notation));
    }

function cssColors() {
        return array(
            array(array(0, 0, 0), '#000'),
            array(array(0, 0, 0), '#000000'),
            array(array(0, 0, 0), 'rgb(0, 0, 0)')
            array(array(0, 0, 0), 'black')
        );
    }
}

Running this test would call the testParseColor() test 4 times, with each of the arrays returned by cssColors() as the arguments.

Python: providing test data using a decorator

While writing tests for some Python code, I discovered that Python’s unittest doesn’t seem to have such a feature. So I implemented my own, using a decorator:

def data_provider(fn_data_provider):
    """Data provider decorator, allows another callable to provide the data for the test"""
    def test_decorator(fn):

( (0, 0, 0), '#000000' ),
        ( (0, 0, 0), 'rgb(0, 0, 0)' ),
        ( (0, 0, 0), 'black' )

@data_provider(colors):
    def test_parse_color(self, color, notation):
        self.assertEquals(color, self.parser.parse_color(notation))

Suggestions of alternatives are greatly appreciated, by the way 🙂

This entry was posted in Development and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

7 Comments

1. Posted May 15, 2011 at 14:11 | Permalink

I just had a super weird-out moment, I am writing the exact same function, and wanted to test it the exact same way! Perfect, thanks, just what I needed!

2. Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:48 | Permalink

Nice work – I don’t quite understand how python devs write unittests without this.

I’ve ported a version of yours into an ecommerce framework I’m writing (https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar). I’ve attributed your original in the docblock.

3. drm
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 13:48 | Permalink

Nice 🙂 Good to see it in action.

4. Posted September 13, 2012 at 12:38 | Permalink

Thanks !!

I use it so much I packaged it: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/unittest-data-provider/ (and it’s on github: https://github.com/yourlabs/unittest-data-provider )

Hope this helps you too

Thanks again

5. Rafael Capucho
    Posted September 18, 2012 at 23:13 | Permalink

Thank you very much for your contribution, very clever!

6. Posted November 26, 2012 at 18:18 | Permalink

I packaged it: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/unittest-data-provider/

Repo: https://github.com/yourlabs/unittest-data-provider

I’d be glad to hand it over to you if you want. Anyway, I think that the credits are proper if I can do anything please let me know.

7. drm
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 18:05 | Permalink

Awesome, James, thanks for your work. Your comments were hanging in the twilight “pending” zone and they escaped my attention in my cluttered mailbox 😉